Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Presents in the Mail

I am, unfortunately, now too old to expect birthday presents to be mailed from my relatives. I'm lucky if I get cards from people I am not related to. 

On the other hand, I have a jewelry business, and can, therefore, get a present in the mail anytime I need new "parts." This works well for me. Usually, I try to space them out so that I'm not getting on all my packages on the same day. Then I can open them and savor them and play with my new "toys" (I love my job!) Just like "real" presents! 

Today, however, the "spacing things out" part didn't work. I was awoken by the Fed-X guy (Cute new driver...I can see a need to ship more stuff via Fed-X in the future.) He had our shipment from Nile (mostly storage and display stuff since that's what Nile does.) So all morning, I got to play with packaging, and I think some it came out really nice. 

Later, in the afternoon, we got the nice guy from UPS with our package from Rings 'n' Things, which was TINY and cost three times the amount of the larger package. Stuff we needed much more, though. We ordered chains for the various crystal and precious pendants Peggy has been working on for months, so after we got that package, I was very busy and loving every minute of it.

So, it's not my birthday, but I got presents in the mail and I'm happy.

(The birthday card situation has changed in the past couple of years. One of the mailinglists that I am on has a card and fabric exchange that gets mailed to the participants on their birthdays. Mine's coming up. I can hardly wait!)

2 comments:

Dave Robertson said...

Well, happy non-birthday!

Just to follow up with you... Did the stuff from Rings & Things meet your needs?

I hear you about the irony of paying more for smaller packages...it happens so much in the bead world!

Take care & keep on creating,

--Dave Robertson
www.rings-things.com

PiecebyPiece said...

Thanks, Dave. We love RNT. I sort of envision it as the mail-order version of shopping downtown with all those funky, single proprietor-ship shops (well, that's the way downtown was when I was a kid.)

Rio's sort of like shopping uptown, at Tiffany's or Nieman's -- good stuff, but pricey. Fire Mountain's like shopping at the mall, a little generic but you know they PROBABLY have something similar to what you're looking for.

Peggy thinks I'm a nut, but I always make sure I have over $75 on the order so I can get the Ugly Beads. I think of them as sort of a design challenge since most of the time they're beads I would never buy for myself.

The only problem with this order is that we got some very fine silver-plated chain on spool which ended up being spliced in several places. I normally expect it to be spliced at least once because it's so fine, but I was a little disappointed that it was spliced more than once.

I'll probably use the smaller pieces with the Ugly Beads somehow...sort of a challenge piece.